Friday, March 4, 2016

SB on Episodes 3.1, 3.2, & 3.3

SB on Game of Thrones: Blog Entry Number Seven
Changes
Even though the central issues remain the same, I observed that episodes 3.1, 3.2, and 3.3 were different from the previous two seasons and might mark a kind of turning point.  Before beginning the third season, it was clear that change was a prime characteristic of Game of Thrones:  drastic changes occur at a rapid rate (due to the complex and fast-moving plot), and the show, itself, is a hybrid of genres.  However, episodes 3.1, 3.2, and 3.3 were unique because they had more elements from genres (of visual media and music) that were less present in the first two seasons, they provided further insight into interesting issues that were introduced in the first two seasons (namely, warging/greenseeing), and they showed the development of new relationships.
More Fantasy-Horror Elements
Unlike most of the episodes from the first two seasons of Game of Thrones, the first scene of the third season began like a fantasy-horror film:  on the snowy landscape, Samwell encountered one of the “Army of Darkness (1992) zombie”-like White Walkers and was rescued when this White Walker was killed and set on fire.  There were elements of fantasy-horror in the first two seasons of Game of Thrones:  consider the first scene of the first season with all of the corpses in the forest, or the final scene of the second season when the army of White Walkers was approaching. 
Even though there were these fantasy-horror scenes in previous episodes, I believe that episodes 3.1, 3.2, and 3.3 contained a significantly greater amount of elements of the fantasy-horror genre.  In this set of episodes, the White Walkers (and other fantasy monsters like flying, fire-breathing dragons and giants) seemed much more common and more directly involved with the action of the plot. 
New Genres of Music
Also, these episodes contained a style of music that was not in any previous episode of Game of Thrones.  Right after Jaime’s right hand was removed in the final scene of the third episode of the third season, the ending credits came and “The Bear and the Maiden Fair” by Hold Steady played (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgiTB2NFvAM).  This was the first time that I heard a rock (and, arguably, punk rock) song in an episode of Game of Thrones.  Even after learning that this was a Westerosi Folk Song, I would still not expect fast rock music to appear in Game of Thrones.  I have enjoyed all of the music in Game of Thrones and I really enjoyed this song, so I am not complaining.
Since the creators of Game of Thrones put a great deal of consideration into nearly every aspect of the show, I assume that there would be no exception for the music.  I believe that this new genre of music was included in Game of Thrones at this particular moment, in order to end the scene (of the removal of Jaime’s hand) with yet another unexpected surprise, to reflect these general changes in the series that I observe here, and to foreshadow other upcoming changes in the series.  
More Coverage of Warging/Greenseeing
            I noticed that this set of episodes explicitly addressed Bran’s special abilities.  While this was addressed in earlier episodes, I believe that this set of episodes (episode 3.2, in particular) was one of the first times that warging and greenseeing were explicitly discussed.  Leederman suggested that, with warging and greenseeing, Martin was exploring the idea that humans can learn from studying the animal kingdom, from observing the wonders of nature, and from understanding different perspectives. 
I find the general concept of learning from nature to be fascinating.  Further, I am also intrigued by the idea of one’s consciousness leaving the human body.  For these reasons (and because warging and greenseeing are being addressed more explicitly and frequently in the series), Bran has become one character that I am extremely interested in and I am excited to see how his special abilities come into play in the Game of Thrones.
New Relationships and Concluding Prediction/Hope
            It must be noted that I am intrigued by yet another change that I observed:  the development of Brienne and Jaime’s relationship.  I believe that, throughout the course of their journey, Brienne and Jaime have formed a unique connection, and I predict that these two will, eventually, become allies.  Even by the end of the third episode of the third season, these two are still prisoners.  I hope that these two are able to cooperate because this may be their ticket to freedom.

Works Cited
Leederman, T. A. “A Thousand Westerosi Plateaus:  Wargs, Wolves, and Ways of Being.” Mastering the Game of Thrones: Essays on George R.R. Martin’s A Song of Ice and Fire. Eds. Jes Battis and Susan Johnston. Jefferson, NC: McFarland, 2015. 189-203. Print.



6 comments:

  1. Yes, I was really surprised by the closing music presented after that lose-a-hand scene. So much so, that I almost wondered if my online viewing had included a technical glitch. But alas, no. I'd be intrigued to hear what the reason was for this switch.

    I also found it interesting that Bran is becoming more of a focus during this series. It makes me wonder if/when we will be seeing less of some characters in order to be seeing more of him...

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's quite a bit of fan interest in the music on the show by Ramin Djawadi. I thought I remembered my History students last year claiming that he was working through old medieval ballads even as he got bands like Coldplay to do them. But I looked on line a bit and apparently George Martin wrote the lyrics to "Bear and the Maiden Fair" and "Rains of Castlemere," which are both repeated in different variations throughout the series. Wherever it came from, it's very haunting material once you start listening to it.
    About Warging as a symbol of being attuned to animals--it would make sense that the Northerners in GOT are more in touch with the natural world than the city folk/urban dwellers in Kings Landing, who are more worried about rats than direwolves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely noticed a lot more of the supernatural/fantasy elements in this season and am very interested in paying more attention to these as we continue watching. I have some ideas about how these elements may come into play later but have not written about yet because it would involve too many spoilers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe that this is the beginning of the fantasy. It has slowly been growing from season 2 to where we are now. I think that we are going to see a shift in the balance and if you are not part of the magical group, well you might as well not try for the throne.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like Jojen Reed and the way he explains wargs etc. to Bran. I think this was a good scene for the showrunners to depict because it served a couple purposes, brought us up to speed and told us how important Bran will eventually be (at least according to Jojen and I'm inclined to believe him).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Samwell, as we already discussed opposing views about the music, it was interesting to finally have an opportunity to read your post. I think that it is definitely a change for the series. I would say that my music taste is eclectic in that I like all genres, but for the series I just didn't see the connection. However, as you said, it was a deliberate choice. I'm now considering if it was so different to throw off viewers, so they remember the scene vividly since it is a big character change. Overall, an interesting concept as to how there were many differing views on such a minute part of the episodes.

    ReplyDelete