Saturday, February 20, 2016

SB on Episodes 2.4, 2.5, & 2.6

SB on Game of Thrones: Blog Entry Number Five
Violence and Torture
While viewing Game of Thrones episodes 2.4, 2.5, and 2.6, I noticed a great increase in the amount of violence and torture in the show.  For example, consider the scene in the fourth episode of the second season where Joffrey interacted with his two “bedroom entertainers.”  Joffrey instructed one woman to severely beat the other woman and, even though the ending of this interaction was not shown on screen, it was implied that this interaction ended with the death of (at least) one of the women.  After this scene, I viewed Joffrey as a completely different kind of character.  Yes, I gathered that Joffrey was always an evil brat who abused his power.  However, the fact that Joffrey chose to sexually torture these women (over any alternative) made this character seem even more evil and brutal to me. 
No matter how this scene is viewed, these women were objectified and this is not okay.  However, if Joffrey chose any alternative (over torturing these women), then Joffrey would have seemed a lot more human to me.  Further, even when considering the capacities of the most perverted minds in the Game of Thrones universe, I believe Joffrey’s torturing and killing of these characters was probably the worst possible thing that could have been done to these characters.  There was a great deal of graphic violence in this set of episodes (such as the beheading at the beginning of the sixth episode of the second season), but the scene with Joffrey and his entertainers was particularly disturbing.
One general observation that I made about the violence in this set of episodes was that a great amount of the violence was extremely shocking and happened very suddenly.  For example, recall the scene of Renly’s death in the fifth episode of the second season:  the murder happened very quickly and I did not notice any kind of technique (like slow-motion or close-up) that was used to emphasize the drama of this scene.  Even though I heard spoilers and I knew that Renly’s death was coming, I was still shocked and did not expect Renly’s death to happen when it did because it happened so quickly and so early in the episode.
Game of Thrones and Politics
In my first blogs, I agreed with Littman that Game of Thrones, when considered as a thought experiment of the philosophy of Thomas Hobbes, indicates that it is preferable to have any ruler than to have a state of civil war or anarchy.  I understand this argument but, after viewing this set of episodes, I must say that my perspectives have changed.
I still agree with Hobbes that order is preferable to disorder and I still believe that, in the Game of Thrones universe (and in any other universe), it would be ideal to have a ruler.  However, I do not think that it is preferable to have any ruler than to have no ruler.  I maintain that it is preferable to have no ruler than to have an unjust and ruthless ruler like Joffrey. 
Recall the scene in the sixth episode of the second season when Joffrey ordered that a whole crowd of people be executed because one member of that crowd threw fecal matter at Joffrey.  This uprising scene was my favorite scene in this set of episodes.  This scene demonstrated that, in some contexts, anarchy may be an acceptable policy.  The crowd revolting against this ruthless leader was an act of anarchy that prevented (or at least decreased the severity of) a mass execution.
I respect the political perspectives of my professor and classmates, I know that not everyone believes in the principles of anarchy, and I understand that some people would hold that that, regardless of Joffrey’s ruthlessness, it would be preferable to have Joffrey as a king than to have no king, at all.  However, I am willing to bet that very few viewers would disagree with me when I say that Joffrey (at least temporarily) deserved to wear this crown of fecal matter.  

Works Cited
Littman, Greg.  “Maester Hobbes Goes to King’s Landing.”  Game of Thrones and                           Philosophy: Logic Cuts Deeper Than Swords. Eds. William Irwin and Henry Jacoby.               Hoboken, NJ:  & Sons, Inc., 2012. 5-18. Print.

11 comments:

  1. I'd agree with the assessment of Joffrey's character. It gets plain that he is worse and worse than we originally thought him to be. This is hinted at with the almost-brutal abuse of Sansa (Tyrion is able to step in and prevent the brutality) - but then reaches completion with the two prostitutes. It is grotesque and beyond disturbing. I also like your tie in to the eventual mob scene. We really see how unstable he is here. Nothing is calculated. It's just insane and immediate responses that pour from him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The episode is also kind of disturbing in that Tyrion and Bron think that they can just chill out Joffrey by getting him a couple of prostitutes. It's kind of a veiled attack on the notion that legalized prostitution would cut down on rape incidents in our society.
    Yes, I would agree that anarchy is probably preferable to a psychopathic leader like Joffrey, but I am not so sure it's not close to anarchy even with him nominally in control. That's what the riot scene is about. But just to give the devil his due, if Joffrey really wants to be a man, his own man, he can't accept the prostitutes from Tyrion. It's too much of an admission of his immaturity in face of the worldly uncle. But then he doesn't have to shoot an arrow through them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The episode is also kind of disturbing in that Tyrion and Bron think that they can just chill out Joffrey by getting him a couple of prostitutes. It's kind of a veiled attack on the notion that legalized prostitution would cut down on rape incidents in our society.
    Yes, I would agree that anarchy is probably preferable to a psychopathic leader like Joffrey, but I am not so sure it's not close to anarchy even with him nominally in control. That's what the riot scene is about. But just to give the devil his due, if Joffrey really wants to be a man, his own man, he can't accept the prostitutes from Tyrion. It's too much of an admission of his immaturity in face of the worldly uncle. But then he doesn't have to shoot an arrow through them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like that you are looking at the philosophy of the series. I would agree with you on your current analysis. Joffrey's rule has created this state of anarchy. If I was in King's Landing at that time, well I would have left for another city, or go fight for someone else.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you in that I would prefer no ruler to Joffrey. At least in that world, you can expect anarchy that may ensue. In Joffrey's world, you have to expect to be executed or severely punished possibly because Joffrey just felt like it and you were an innocent bystander.

    Maybe I missed something, but I didn't notice the implication that one or possibly both of the bedroom ladies were killed as a result. Can you point me to the reference(s)?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lord Friendzone, I could be wrong because I am viewing the series for the first time. But I thought that the act that Joffrey told them to do would result with the death or at least the very serious injury of one of the women. Further, I thought it was implied that if they did not go through with this act, then Joffrey would kill them with his bow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, I will see if I can find the scene and take another look. I'll let you know or post a link!

      Delete
    2. Here's a portion on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKa4bq7CRqM

      Joffrey says to one that she will take the other to Tyrion's chambers and "show him what you've done." So I interpret this as she's gong to be badly beaten, but not die.

      Delete
    3. Even still, having them severely beaten this way is really disgusting. I understand your point when you say that he could have done other things to them and it wouldn't have been as bad. This does really show how sick he is and completely dehumanizes him, if we thought he had any humanity left at this point.

      Delete
  7. I like that you pointed out the immediacy of some of the deaths/violent episodes this time around. I think that this probably ties back to audience shock value. This show has definitely had a LOT of that going on already!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think that scene you describe in terms of anarchy really reminds the viewer that many characters with little power can hold more power than even the King and his bodyguards if they decide to come together and revolt. It's a meta-struggle in the grand scheme of things though in my opinion, a struggle for power and fealty in King's Landing itself in a greater more expansive struggle for the Iron Throne/

    ReplyDelete