Sunday, May 8, 2016

SB on Episode 6.3 (for 5/10/16)

SB on Game of Thrones: Episode 6.3 (Blog 17 for 5/10/16)
Bran’s Vision
            My favorite scene from the third episode of the sixth season of Game of Thrones was Bran Stark’s vision of his father, Eddard Stark.  Even though season six has seen the return of Kit Harrington to revive the role of Jon Snow, the sixth season has not yet, to my disappointment, brought back Sean Bean to revive the role of Ned Stark.
Bran’s warging vision was of a famous fight from Ned’s youth.  The fight scene was fascinating, took place in a really beautiful setting, and was, perhaps, the most intense scene of the episode.
Interestingly, this scene made Ned Stark appear to be much more human than the mythologized version of Ned that many are familiar with.  Contrary to Ned’s version of the story that Bran was familiar with and was told his whole life, it was discovered that Ned did not win this fight cleanly.  In fact, not only were Ned’s opponents outnumbered, but Ned’s last surviving opponent was killed by being stabbed in the back. 
Since there was not a great deal of coverage of Bran in the remainder of the third episode of the sixth season of Game of Thrones after Bran’s vision of Ned’s unfair fight, it is difficult to determine if this vision will have a negative impact on Bran’s image of his father.  Even though Bran might think differently of his father after seeing this, I am sure that this will not be detrimental to Bran’s overall image of and level of respect for his father. 
If anything, I think this scene made Ned seem more human and less god-like, which is a good thing.  This scene made me wonder what would happen if I visited my grandpa’s childhood fights, which he still brags about to this day.
Sean Bean Theory
Even though I mentioned that I was disappointed about the lack of Sean Bean in the sixth season of Game of Thrones, it is possible that Sean Bean might return in later episodes of season six because Bran continues to have warging visions of the past.  To my fellow Sean Bean fanatics:  there is still hope. 
Also, it is worthy of mention that Ned’s backstabbing scene did bring back the idea of Sean Bean, in a way, because this scene reminded me of another Sean Bean-related character from fiction media:  Agent 006.  Ever since I saw Sean Bean (as Agent 006 or Alec Trevelyan) betray Pierce Brosnan (as Agent 007 or James Bond) in director Martin Campbell’s GoldenEye (1995) as a child, I have always expected Sean Bean’s characters to be traitors. 
Yes, I have had this suspicion of Sean Bean characters every time I have ever watched a Sean Bean film or show in my entire life (post-GoldenEye).  Yes, I know that this suspicion of Sean Bean characters is entirely ungrounded and completely illogical. However, a part of me has never been able to completely free myself of this strange childhood association between Agent 006 and betrayal.  
Even though the backstabbing in Game of Thrones was a literal backstabbing and not a metaphorical one (like the betrayal in GoldenEye) and even though it was not Sean Bean (or even Sean Bean’s character) who did the actual backstabbing in Game of Thrones, it is undeniable that this scene reminded me of my childhood suspicion of Sean Bean characters because this scene resulted with a dramatic change in perception of a Sean Bean-related character. 
Even though I declared above that Ned’s unfair fight and Ned’s lying about it should not be detrimental to Ned’s character or people’s perceptions of Ned’s character, I cannot deny that this scene made me second guess a Sean Bean character and that this reminded me of my strange suspicion of Sean Bean characters. I felt this connection was funny and worthy of sharing.
Next Week
          This is the final required blog post, but it is declared that I will most likely be viewing future episodes of Game of Thrones.  One particular character I am interested in is Theon.  With the exception of the preview for next week's episode, there was no coverage of Theon in this episode.  This character has gone through an incredible transformation and I believe that Theon has potential to do great things in the battle for the throne.


Works Cited

GoldenEye. Dir. Martin Campbell. Perf. Pierce Brosnan, Sean Bean, Izabella Scorupco, Famke Janssen, and Joe Don Baker. Eon Productions, 1995. Film.

4 comments:

  1. Thought the actor they had for the young Ned Stark was pretty close to Sean Bean, although the voice lacked his gravelly bass register. If this scene is so important, I wish they had played it out all the way and shown us what was up in the tower--not liking the delayed gratification strategy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Chown, I do agree with your comment and your discussion from your blog that this is taking too long. GoT seems like it should be wrapping things up, rather than drawing things out.

      Delete
  2. Ha, poor Sean Bean. What will it take for you to trust him?! lol
    I think casting did a good job, but agree with Dr. Chown about his voice. I too, hope we see a vision of Ed when he's older so that we can see more of Sean Bean. Annnd just because it was said so many times, here's another: Sean Bean. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your thoughts about Ned and positioning himself as a man of honor. With scenes like this it really shows how vulnerable Ned is, even though he is dead. Scenes like this make us wonder if it's possible that he really did cheat on Catelyn, or if R+L=J actually happens. I'm looking forward to more of these flashbacks in future episodes, and to see what happens to Hodor.

    ReplyDelete